Is it possible to hide columns on content condition on a data grid?

Greetings, I am aware that you can hide rows based on a condition, but I have  a table (retrieved from a DB)  where a lot of columns that have no values , so I would like to hide the columns where all rows are empty or have the value ‘ ? ’ . This does not seem possible with data grid. Is it possible to do this? maybe with another widget? I am looking at datatables widget in hopes to figure this out. If anyone already did this before, please share :)   Thanks in Advance,  Kind Regards   
asked
2 answers

Hi Ana,

What exactly is it that you want? If the columns are empty, why not delete them? Or if it depends per object/row, meaning that it can be that row 1 has a value but row 2 does not, hiding the column is not an option: you would not see the value of the row that does have a value if you hide the entire column.

Does that mean you want to display columns based on whether or not (at least) one of the rows that is present in the selection that can be seen on 1 page (the selection of objects depending on your page size) has a value? That means your page/columns would vary per click/page, which can be more confusing for a user than just always showing the column. Also this would have to be created yourself with template/listviews, with custom columns: an approach which takes time and is not good for your maintainability. 

It is possible, but needs either not platform-supported widgets and/or a lot of questionable design. If possible I’d go with different pages/tabs with datagrids that differ on columns based on what view you want, or otherwise advise your customer not to go down this path :)

answered

Hello Wieke,

The P.O. wants all of the columns to be displayed, for example a column is empty but if he adds values to it on his database, he wants to see the column now showing up, and he if decides to delete all values from one column he wants too see that column disappear, hence I cannot delete those columns, because it will directly depend on the database , which is not forever static . 

It is not related to the rows at all. The only condition will be “If all rows are empty” or if all rows have “ ?”   as it’s only content value.

There is no hiding row 1 and showing row 2  because that behaviour could be done with regular data grid . 

“Does that mean you want to display columns based on whether or not (at least) one of the rows that is present in the selection that can be seen on 1 page (the selection of objects depending on your page size) has a value? ”

yes but there is about 33 columns to display , as requested from the  PO which is sort of impossible to show , but of those 33, only around 6 will have values for now.

The tabs/ idea could be the way to go, I haven’t thought about that. I will see with the customer as well. Thanks for your time ! :)

answered