Importing Excel Into Two Different Entities

Hi – I am using the Excel file importer from the app store and have two definitions to import into two entities. One entity is a “parent” of the other and are joined in the Domain model as a one-to-many relationship. How can I tell Mendix to link the two entities from the import so that the parent and children records being imported are associated as parent/children? Because currently, the linking is not happening. Is it because I have them imported as separate import definitions?
asked
3 answers

Hi,

I think you have 2 options:

1. Only do one import, and supplied you have both entities in the same excel doc you can import the parent object by reference and have the child object as row object.
  2. Do 2 imports, first parent, then child, and set the reference to the parent object id when importing the child object.
answered

I assume it uses the key fields defined in the import definition to sync parent to child? If I do option 1, how does would the import know which columns to match to the parent? By the key fields? If so, I assume I would need to name the key fields the same between child + parent for the import to know how to match parent/child?

answered

I have a column set to “Reference” but is not getting valued via the import. Any ideas what might be happening? What is weird is, all other fields seem to be importing fine; it’s just the “Reference” field that isn’t. The scenario is, I already have rows populated in my parent entity. What I need this import to do is import child rows linked to that parent.

answered