Desktop installation system requirements question

Please excuse the newbie question.   I’ve been going through the training using the Web Modeler.  Now, I’m at the point where the tutorials want me to switch over to the Desktop Modeler.  The problem is that I’m on a Mac.  I love the Medix platform so far and now I’m considering purchasing a PC laptop, just to keep going with your platform and leverage the power of the Desktop Modeler.  I have several questions about the system requirements, specifically section 5, the Server requirements.   Requirement 5.1 – Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2 and above Debian 8 (Jessie) and above Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 CentOS 6, CentOS 7   Question: Do I have to have MS Server AND all the other bullets listed?  Or, can I use Linux 7, and NOT use MS Server?   Requirement 5.2 – Web Server: Microsoft Internet Information Services 7 and above Nginx (tested with versions included in Debian Jessie and Debian Jessie Backports) Apache   Question: Do I need all of the bullet items listed above?  Or Just MS IIS?    Requirement 5.3 – Database Server IBM DB2 11.1 MariaDB 5.5, 10.0, 10.1 Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 Azure SQL v12 (support is not independently verified and is available only through compatible versions of SQL Server) MySQL 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 Oracle Database 11g Release 2, 12c Release 1 PostgreSQL 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6, 10 SAP HANA 2.00.040.00.1545918182   Question: I’m assuming I only need one of the above?  I was hoping to use MySQL.   To ask my question another way, can I run the Desktop Modeler on a PC that is configured like this: Laptop: Windows 10 Server OS:  Red Had Enterprise Linux 7 Web Server:  MS IIS  (I believe this ships with Windows 10?) DB Server:  MySQL   The reason I ask is because of cost.  If I purchase a PC, literally the ONLY thing I’ll use it for is Mendix Desktop Modeler.   I run a small business with 15 employees, and I’m trying to build an app for our business.  The entire company runs on Mac, and this PC will be a “one trick pony.”  I don’t want to have to purchase Windows Server or MS SQL Server just to use the Desktop Modeler.   Sorry if I’ve confused some of the tech stack required for the Desktop.   I’m very much a “citizen developer” (with some basic coding skills). I’ve set up a LAMP server on a Mac before.  This seems similar?   Thanks in advance for any advice you can give about PC / software purchase to take me to the next step in my Mendix journey.
asked
3 answers

You confuse the requirements that is needed for running Mendix in an on premise installation (for production) and the requirements just to run the desktop modeler (the Mendix pro suite as it is now called) to create the app. The desktop modeler will run on any windows environment. Since you allready own a mac you also can use parallel to run the desktop modeler.
When you start building your app you can use the Mendix freenode to run your application without any costs in the cloud so you can test your app. If the app is complete I would not advise you to run Mendix on premise. It is so much easier to use the Mendix cloud (or any of the other clouds that are supported by Mendix). This saves you the hassle of maintaining that server and there is no cost difference so why bother.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Ronald

answered

Ronald,

YES!  I believe this answers my question.  I have zero interest in hosting my app on-premise.  I simply want to use the desktop modeler to build it. Then once my app is ready for my staff to use, I’d like to host it in the Mendix cloud.

So, to make one (probably redundant) final clarification:

I can buy any Windows 10 laptop (from BestBuy, for example) and it will be sufficient to use the Desktop Modeler?  Then, I can deploy to the cloud when I’m ready to invite users to interact with the app?  Is my interpretation of your answer correct?

Again THANK YOU!!!!  I had become concerned that the system requirements were a barrier to pushing forward with my app development. 

answered

Ronald, Thanks again.  Investigating Parallel now. I used it years and years ago, with poor performance.  (Maybe my mac was underpowered?).  It’s definitely worth a shot, since I’m not interested in owning a PC laptop that have zero interest in using :)

Have a great weekend.  I really appreciate your input.  Thanks for your contribution to the forum. 

answered