Training Question

I am taking the Rapid training and have come to a stand still in section 4.8.2 where you create pages using the Reference Selector widget.  Training calls for creating a Training Event Overview and Detail page, which I have done.  Then it says in the Training Event New Edit page there will be a date picker on that page because the Training Event NewEdit page is tied to entity TrainingEvent which has Start and End Date, which my Domain Model does have.  However, I don’t see the Date Picker on the Training Event Detail Page.  Would like to provide images, but don’t see where they can be added.  However, if you look at my Domain Model, Training Event entity is there with Start/End dates and are connected to Course, Location, and Teachers as instructed.  Thanks
asked
4 answers

I do not know how you created the page. But when you create a new detail page from the List on the Overview page, there is the option to pre-fill the page content. Maybe this checkbox was not selected when you created the page.

This can be solved by dragging the data picker widget from the Toolbox on the page: inside the Data view Training Event 

And then set the Data source property to the Due Date attribute.

answered

Arjan – Thanks for your help. However, something is missing in this training in # 2 and I can’t figure it out.  When I create the Training Event Overpage page and add attributes RapidDeveloper, From, Hosted, At, then look in the Domain Model, all these have been added to TrainingEvent.  Please ask a question so I can explain myself more.  I am not sure what to tell you to help me get past this.  Thanks

Using Reference Selectors

Now that you've extended the domain model, it's time to create the pages for the training events. You will do this, by using a Reference selector widget, which will allow you to select an associated object (in other words, create a connection)

1. Go ahead and create an overview page and a detail page for your training events. Don't forget to add these pages to the navigation menu. Need some inspiration? Take a look at the following designs.

2. If you don’t remember exactly how to create the pages, take a look at Module 3: Start Building Your App.Note that when choosing to pre-fill with data from theTrainingEvent entity, the Web Modeler doesn't automatically generate fields for the course, teacher, and location, because these are associations. However, it is very important that you can set these connections; otherwise, your teachers won't know which course they have to teach and where!

1. Open the detail page of the TrainingEvent, which should be called TrainingEvent_NewEdit. You will see that is has a datepicker there for the start date and the end date of the course. This is because these are attributes of the TrainingEvent entity, so the fields were created automatically.

answered

Hi Keith,

You aren't supposed to add the Hosted, At and From as new attributes. It uses a combination of static text (From, Hosted, At), information in the TrainingEvent (StartDate and EndDate), and information in associated entities (Course/Title, Teacher/Name, Location/Name). So instead of creating new attributes, output existing ones and you're all set!

I hope this helps, good luck!

answered

Hi Simone and thanks for info.  When you say output existing attributes, you are saying the ones that are already part of the other pages (course, location, etc).  Is that just selecting them to be part of the TrainingEvent Overview or TrainingEventNewEdit?  This is part of the Rapid training and I am having trouble getting past this one part. Thanks

answered