Storage of Images: disappear after new deployment to cloud

Hi everybody, I working on an application which also needs to store photos attached to a specific entity (1 to many). All works during upload, but when I deploy a new version to the cloud, the attached photos to that specific entity are gone. Looks like a link is still in place (because the image is gone, not the rest). I know there was something going on with the storage of photos in the cloud but can’t lay the finger on it.  So, why is this happening (and how to solve this :-) )? And (yes, a content server will be available during go-live) how can we store this onto a content server? Hope you can help! Kind regards and all the best! Laurens
asked
5 answers

The only reason I can think of is that the model has lost the generalization entity of the system.image. But even renaming the entity should not cause this. Did you download the database and inspect it locally? Do you still have a database with the images? Because then you can try to upgrade locally so you can inspect the SQL commands (drop table, create table) fired at the database during update of the model.

Regards,

Ronald

answered

Most important ;-) Did you make a (full) backup just before deployment? 

Any change you made changes to

1. the association
  2. inheritance of System.image
  3. Read access rights/xpath constraints?

The last one can be a good one to look at. 

answered

Hi everybody,

well, I got a response from one of the Mendix experts. Let me summarize it a little bit (and I apologize if my question wasn't clear enough).

A deployed Mendix app stores photos/attachments on the harddrive of the container where it is deployed (when there is no filestorage available). When you redeploy, the container is deleted (including the images) and replaced. This is quite a big problem when you scale horizontal. 

So, I need to find out how to implement filestorage on Mendix :-)

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Laurens

answered

Having similar issue? Did you find any solution?

Thanks & Regards

KK

answered

You need to implement persistent file storage. Mendix supports filesystem-based storage (a local drive or network share) as well as cloud blob storage (like Amazon S3). How that's done differs based on your environment.

With a non-container-based deployment on Windows and Linux, you probably won’t run into any issues since your file storage is probably on the server’s file system.

With a container-based deployment, containers are destroyed and recreated during each release (and with any horizontal scaling you do). Thus, you’ll want some external location for your files to live. There are 2 flavors of container deployments:

answered