Error installing Desktop Modeler

I've been working my way through the tutorial on the Mendix site and I'm about halfway through Stage 5. I'm at the part where it wants me to install the Desktop Modeler. But I can't. I download it and run it and get a message saying "Java Development Kit x64 mandatory prerequisite was not correctly installed." followed by "Mendix 7.20.0 setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again." Has anyone else run into this? Is the Java stuff supposed to be installed as part of the Desktop Modeler, or am I supposed to have it already? At minimum I'd like to get a handle on whether the problem is on the Mendix end or on my end.
asked
4 answers

You will need to have installed Java in order to perform a Mendix install - I suggest getting the latest version of Java 8.

You can go here and download it.

Hope this helps

answered

The Mendix installer is supposed to install Java for you. You can try to install it manually like Dragos suggests and then re-run the installer.

Was there no visible error about Java installation failing before you got the error you mentioned?

answered

There wasn't, no. I'll try Dragos's suggestion and note whether it worked or not.

answered

No, I just can't install it. Which, if it's not _the_ problem, it's clearly _a_ problem. So I'll look in to that on my end. Thanks!

answered