Errors crop up on Administration Module pages that were not edited -- input widgets mapped to wrong attributes

I have seen this issue on a number of different student projects and have not had a chance to really track it down, but it is disconcerting: A student team reports errors on pages they did not edit.  The pages are always from the administration module and typically involve user management. The error turns out to be that one or more input widgets are mapped to a non-existent attribute.  The fix is to edit the widget and choose an existing attribute from the appropriate entity.  Usually (hopefully) it is obvious which one to pick. My hunch is that in each case students have their own entity that is called User and/or which uses attribute names that are very similar to the ones in the System.User entity, but I do not see at the moment how this could cause a problem since students are working in their own Module (MyFirstModule) and are not using generalization feature (for example) at least not intentionally. I know this is rather vague and I will try to pinpoint it further but wondered if anyone has seen anything like this or has thoughts about how to track this down. Thanks! George Wyner
asked
3 answers

Are your students use a specilization of system.User? Another one than Account? I can Imagine that this is causing the issue. The pages in the Administration module are working with Account objects that are also a specilization of system.User

If you really need your own User entity, it could help to have it as specilization of Account or (what I would prefer) using a Userdata entity with a 1 to 1 association to Account.

answered

Did you check the history of the object? Right click in the project explorer on the page or microflow and choose show history. 

answered

Follow up: I checked history of the page (Account_Overview) and the only two changes are the merge from the web modeler and the student committing his fix of the errors.  No sign that students have specialized User or Account.

Wondering if the errors are being introduced by the web modeler.  In each case I am fairly certain the students were working in the web modeler.  In one case the errors were being reported in the web modeler which puzzled the students, since suddenly they had visibility into the Administration module in the web modeler and could not understand where the pages were coming from.

By way of background: I am having students start the projects in the web modeler and then transition to desktop modeler.

answered