How Viable is Mendix as a gaming Platform?

A Client wants us to create a game. How viable is it to do this in MX? What game types would work well with the benefits of mendix? What are some pitfalls in game development vs app development?
asked
15 answers

Brand new evaluation guide has this to say:

"Finally, the Mendix Platform is not a good fit for building games or replacing full ESB solutions."

https://www.mendix.com/evaluation-guide/use-cases#should-not-build

answered

I built Sudoku in Mendix (only with microflows) and I have seen another person built Battleship (Zeeslag).

Games that are not visually demanding are possible. (mostly turn based or thinking/puzzle games). 

answered

We actually build a simulation game once to demo the possibilities of a logistics algorithm. The main problem with Mendix is that it is reactive in nature so you are stuck with polling instead of push. You could work arround this by using other frameworks such as pusher to enable push messages. But it seems a more viable option to build a game in another platform such as unity and embed this in your mendix application. 

answered

Simulations, Chess for 2 players, Yatzee, ...
Those kind of games should work fine on Mendix :-)

answered

Depends on the game probably, but still, probably not...

answered

that what ive been researching a bit,

Trading card games might work well.
Idle clickers.
narrative games.

Having easy cloud integration would make multiplayer easy?
quick time to live product so refining cycle would be awesome.
HTML is a but mature then 5 years ago.

answered

If you aim for Civilization gamers that want to play hours to see a bar chart move, maybe?

Actually I could imagine Mendix being of use when creating planning games that can be used for education to teach basics of economy, production planning and control... 

answered

I once tried to build snake (to connect with a NN) in Mendix and even then I encountered issues with the canvas where the game took action.

The logic in the game could be build in mf's etc, but I think that other platforms or direct in a suitable language would be easier/smoother for it. And don't forget the special librarys, plugins and stuff which you probably need for the game...those you won't find in the mendix app store.

I would say:

Don't invent the wheel or die trying use one of these:

https://thetool.io/2018/mobile-game-development-platforms

answered

I wouldn't recommend any type of gaming on Mendix. There are far better platforms for game development like Unreal & Unity, and even if you want a basic web game, then it is still best to avoid Mendix as you can only implement a polling system as far as I'm aware, and you can't setup a pool of IO streams connected to a single entity.

answered

I would recommend Unity for 2D platformers and Unreal for 3D. Both have good documentation.

answered

If my client asked me if I could make a game, I would say 'yes, absolutely'.

And then I would download and install Unity and make the game with that. ;-)

answered

All of these tools are close to one another in terms of ease of use, breadth of functionality, and overall low-code feature set, both from a business user and a developer perspective. We gave two Editors' Choice awards in this roundup.

answered

All of these tools are close to one another in terms of ease of use, breadth of functionality, and overall low-code feature set, both from a business user and a developer perspective. We gave two Editors' Choice awards in this roundup.

answered

You can create a game like http://www.urbandead.com/

answered

I would totally abuse mendix for making games...if they gave us websockets :(

answered