Mendix Modeler Closing when attempting to merge. 7.15.1

Hi, When attempting to merge my changes anywhere could be mainline or a separate branch, it gets to the 'Merge changes' section on the check list, decides to then take a while. Then all of a sudden without a proper error message, windows just seems to shut the modeler down completely. Which just kills the process in its tracks. You can open the modeler back up fine, and it will normally have half of the changes merged but the other half haven't. Instantly you'd think that maybe there was just something wrong with a specific part of the code you're trying to merge. But when attempted THE EXACT SAME code on a separate machine entirely, doing the same merging task. It works....  Being having this all the time, and has got to the point where if I want to merge I need to use a colleagues computer to do so... Anybody had any similar problems with this? Any help would be great, (I haven't attempted the Turn off and on again approach of re-downloading Mendix modeler, but I have tried by re-downloading the branch, still the same problem)   Cheers Adrian 
asked
4 answers

I am currently hunting a bug just like this: the Modeler silently crashing during the "Merging changes" phase. It has to do with the automatic conflict resolution of the "svn:ignore" property. So, I am curious whether in your case, you also get a "property change conflict" if you use the TortoiseSVN workaround.

Update: oh, wait, you are with the same company that raised the ticket :-)

Update 2: found the bug and described the whole story in https://forum.mendix.com/link/questions/92813

answered

I don't know would cause such behavior, but you can try to merge your changes using TortoiseSVN? You can find some more information in the documentation: https://docs.mendix.com/refguide/version-control-scenarios#reverse-merging

If you're going to try this out, make sure you download version 1.7.

answered

I think we found a potential pain point and a way to possibly resolve it.

Most of the problems were happening on my colleagues computer (I asked this question from the context of him doing it, as we wrote it together) But he was the one having all of the problems, who then asked me to do the merging for him. I haven't had any of these problems with merging outside of trying to merge his stuff for him. I suggested it may be something weird inside his local environment that is getting attached to his code when he commits, which is causing the issue... Sounds a bit daft, but when I re-committed into his branch so my code was the latest code in there, the merge worked fine..... 

No information outside of this at the moment, but it seemed to resolve it for the time being. (Or it may have just been luck) But i will try the TortoiseSVN merging, haven't done that before so will report back my findings! Thankyou for the response 

answered

We have lot of problems with crashes of modeler during merge. This is big problem for whole team. 
It happens for every member of team, on all computers.
Some branches work without problems, however for some we need to retry merging until it succeed. There is no rule, sometimes even over 20 retries, but sometimes we need to recreate changes on new branch and than merge to mainline.

It looks like chances for successful merge are increased if you restart windows, and download fresh mainline, but probably this is just chance.

Tried lot of options but without success. Tried reinstalling the C++ package, no success. Tortoise SVN 1.7 merge is not an option because it can not resolve conflicts in .mpr file.

This is log from event viewer:
Faulting application name: Modeler.exe, version: 8.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x586f4881
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000000761c9
Faulting process id: 0x2130
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4eac2e90f1144
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Mendix\6.10.3\modeler\Modeler.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll
Report Id: 044b9ebe-5b5a-48ec-9fd9-d1cf37331fff
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Faulting application name: Modeler.exe, version: 8.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x586f4881
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.556, time stamp: 0x74bed8b0
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f479b
Faulting process id: 0x2130
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4eac2e90f1144
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Mendix\6.10.3\modeler\Modeler.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 7c9650ee-a25b-46ba-ae0d-becdffc16734
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Note that our project is pretty large. For some smaller projects this does not happen.
We could not find solution for this.  We changed process of work: simplified user stories so that branches have less changes, decrease lifetime of branches so that there is less commits on mainline since branch was created. But even merging branch with simple changes fails sometimes.

Did anybody found solution or workaround?

answered