How to minimize the widgets loads for mobile

I have an application which uses widgets which let the widget.js file comes almost 4 MB where this widgets are not required for mobile and affects badly the loading of the mobile app as it loads the files each time the users load the app, so is there a way to load specific widget in case of mobile app ?
asked
2 answers

Hi Mohamed, as far as I know you cannot load specific widgets for mobile. You can however minimize the widgets used in your project. Where is that 4 MB coming from or which widgets are u using?

answered

Unfortunately Mendix does not make the distinction in which widgets are used in which application. If you load it in a Hybrid Mobile app, the app will download it once (and updates only when there is a new deployment). This means that the initial load will be somewhat long, but subsequent starts should be a lot faster.

That being said, it should be a good idea to analyse which widgets you are using. For example, CKEditor is massive in size, due to some libraries that are being included. But, such a widget could be replaced by Rich Text, for example. So it pays of to see what widgets you are using and if there is a way to either replace it with another, or try to do it with Mendix itself.

Another problem we face with building widgets is that a lot of them include jQuery. This was a choice in the past to do so, but jQuery is loaded multiple times in widgets.js and I think it is the biggest culprit in size.

Is the widgets.js loading 4MB on production? That is massive. In the cloud we do gzip all files, which usually means a decrease of at least 50% (I usually see a difference of 60%). If it is in the cloud, I am thinking you have included a huge amount of widgets in the application.

answered