Applying styling to Navigation Side Bar in Visual Studio Code not working

Hello, I am trying to change the background color of my sidebar navigation menu. When I try inserting the code in relation to the navigation list, nothing changes. But I was able to change the bullet points, see below.    Here is the code I used (mx.navigationlist) I tried to add a background color in between the brackets, and nothing happened:   Please help. Thank you!
asked
2 answers

Please inspect HTML in browser to see what element is actually having the background color. I think it will be each list item nested inside main navigation list element. So you need to set the background on the list item element. Check html structure to find the exact class name.

answered

Hi Keara, 

1. as Ilia Basin wrote, check first if your CSS Compiler (eg. Calypso) is running and acutally compiling the css file. 
  2. It looks like you have added your changes to the variables file. This file is the first one, which is added on top of the compiled css file. Therefore it could be, that your changes are overwritten later on by another file. Best move your changes to a separate file. You have to import this file in your  custom.scss file.
answered