Increasing Java Heap size for docker container

Hi, Has anyone tried increasing Java Heap size in Docker container to run the docker image generated for mendix application? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
asked
1 answers

When deploying Mendix in Dockers, it is my experience that you will need to refer to the documentation frequently, both the docker-mendix-buildpack and the cf-mendix-buildpack.

The latter one contains the way to set the heap size for a Docker using an environment variable:

HEAP_SIZE 512M

[edit]

You set this environment variable the same way you set any environment variable. At my client, we have a fully customized setup, my code example won't help, but the documentation shows the following example to set environment variables when running your Docker:

docker run -it \
  -e ADMIN_PASSWORD=Password1! \
  -e DATABASE_ENDPOINT=postgres://username:password@host:port/mendix \
  mendix/mendix-buildpack:v1.2  

Adding the heap size to this, it would look like:

docker run -it \
  -e DATABASE_ENDPOINT=postgres://username:password@host:port/mendix \
  -e HEAP_SIZE=1024M \

Finally, having looked at my code, I actually use two environment variable to control heap size: HEAP_SIZE and MEMORY_LIMIT. HEAP_SIZE is set to 90% of MEMORY_LIMIT (so, for a Docker with 1GB memory, we use MEMORY_LIMIT=1024M and HEAP_SIZE=920M). I didn't find that in the documentation, but it is in the Python code of the cf-mendix-buildpack. So, the final configuration we end up with looks like this:

docker run -it \
  -e DATABASE_URL=sqlserver://username:password@host:port/mendix \
  -e MEMORY_LIMIT=1024M \
  -e HEAP_SIZE=920M \

answered