Quality of life improvement: Color Coding for Easy container recognition - Mendix Forum

Quality of life improvement: Color Coding for Easy container recognition

Often when im a couple of containers deep and dragging containers around they sometimes go into the wrong container and break the design.

Having an easy way of determaining how deep you are would be handy.

a simple color coding might be enough to solve the problem.

and example of the bottom of a container, and one with recuring containers.

asked
4 answers

"A better approach would be when hovering over a container that the border will be changed in thickness."

This still doesnt help whendragging items in containers that are 10 deep. you can still drag them in the wrong container.

Created

I agree about the remarks about colourblind people. I am colourblind and it is horrible for me when i have to use functionality based on colour. A better approach would be when hovering over a container that the border will be changed in thickness.

Created

From a "how pretty is the UI" I agree, it will look horrible.

From a UX perspective I think styling would benefit from having clear visual hierarchy.

The color coding of certain elements idea comes from photoshop, but in mac you can also color in certain folders.
Even having some borders fatter would make it clearer in which element you are in.

But if could also be me just having a hard time in the modeler :D 

Created

Bit of a weird suggestion for the issue to be honest. And the reason I say this, colours are the worst indicators in an interface, they are sensitive to misinterpretation by colourblind people, they are distracting, they carry no meaning unless agreed upon by the team.

Why not just a mouse over effect on the cursor positioned over other containers? 

Instead of making apps look like a unicorn took a dump on the interface.

Created