Domain Model Drawing improvements - Mendix Forum

Domain Model Drawing improvements

For easing maintaining complex Domain Models I like to have the some improvements for the Domain Model drawing/displaying capabilities, inspired by the great drawing features available in the Microflow drawings, to improve readability.

asked
8 answers

Just noticed new posts about the same idea:

https://forum.mendix.com/link/ideas/3433 

Created

I am still hoping the Domain Model drawing engine will be brought to the same level as the Microflow drawing engine…

In the Microflow modeler I have snap lines that allow me easily to align a box/activity with other objects in the drawing, see below:

Why am I not able to see in the Domain Model if I position my entity aligned:

It will be great and make Mendix Studio Pro more consistent to work with.

Created

If attributes could be hidden, I would at the very least appreciate a little counter icon with how many attributes are hidden, so that it's always clear what is and what isn't visible.

Created

@Alexander Keßler I like your suggestion to hide the text for data types and show an icon instead.

Hiding the attributes I would like to have as an option, in such case you would only have the entity and relation/association visible on the drawing tool, like:

And you would have to double click on the entity to see its fields.
Certainly for entities with many attributes the drawing becomes much more readable, in the assumption resizing the boxes for entities will be implemented by Mendix too (in case of many associations to an entity)

Created

another Idea I just raised when I run into a problem that I had an association that cannot be selected to move the line to a different part on the entity:
https://forum.mendix.com/link/ideas/2176

Can perhaps be combined with the idea’s raised in this idea?

Created

Submitted the same question in feedback recently for resizing the width of entity boxes but the feedback is gone now. Fully agree with the requests above and voted for it.

Created

Thanks for your input Alexander, Icon’s for datatypes is even a better idea.

With the option to Hide attributes I mean that I want to have a choice.
If at Entity level I can just check a box to Show (default) or Hide, would be great in my view, certainly for Entities with more attributes than can show on screen, I would just like to show a bigger resized box without attributes. Still allowing to double click on it to see & manage the attributes.

Created

Resizing the width of Entity Boxes
Resizing the Entities would be really helpful indeed.

Hide Attributes 
I cannot agree on this one. For me this would be more confusing. 

Hide Datatypes
Maybe instead of displaying the attribute type as text, change it to meaningful icons, eg. 123 for Integer, $ for decimal etc. 

Created